(Latest updates – May 2014)
Here you can find details of the Regular Events in and around the Barony of Rowany.
If you are looking for upcoming one-off events instead, these are advertised through Event Notices. You can go into the Events menu up top at any stage to find these broken down into categories. Additionally, the latest event posts are often shown in the left hand area at various places throughout the site. The Calendar section gives you another way to find events.
Here are the more regular event…
Held every Tuesday, starting at 19:00, at Herb Greedy Hall, 76 Petersham Rd, Marrickville, NSW, 2204 [MAP]. $5 donation requested.
- Arts and Sciences classes are held at the hall, with Singing and Calligraphy & Illumination once a month as well as various teachers and other classes available at other times (Baronial Arts and Sciences Night projects are discussed on the Rowanites mailing list which can be found here).
- Of course, please feel free to just come along. Perhaps you have an idea you’d like some help with or an ongoing project to work on in the company of like minded people.
Tuesday ‘Skills Night’ / Fighter Practice – Fencing / Rapier and Heavy Combat Practice
Held every Tuesday, starting at 19:30, at The Addison Road Community Centre, 142 Addison Road, Marrickville NSW 2204. [MAP]. $5 donation requested.
- Fencing practice. If you are interested in a lighter, more finessed approach to combat than hitting with various sized sticks, we can help with that. The classes are intensive drilling, breaking up into one-on-one teaching session and pick-up fights. We have enough room for a number of concurrent sessions.
- Heavy combat practice also happens. There are always plenty of people involved here. Both beginner and intermediate skills classes are run quite regularly for those interested in “Heavy” (less scary than it sounds and loads of fun). The classes involve sets of drills and technique practice both in armour and out of armour (for people without) to learn and develop proper technique in the heavy arts. These go for 6-8 weeks with mini tournaments at the end to “put it all together”. Classes start at around 20:00 which gives us all time to get armour on. Even if you have never done anything like it before, please feel free to come along to join in, learn or simply take a look. You will be entertained!
Sunday Fighter Practice With Monthly Tournaments
Each Sunday from Mid-day to 4pm fighter practice is held at St Peters Public School, 31 St Peters Street, St Peters, NSW, 2044 [MAP]
- This field is private, large, has copious amounts of parking, and facilities attached
- To help cover field hire, a small donation is requested
- Heavy fighter and archery practice have been the main focus thus far, however there is room for much more to happen
- Leading up to various events, we also add appropriate activities such as war practice
One Sunday of each month we also have the Monthly Sunday Tournament at the same time and same venue, which replaces the Sunday practice for that day.
- Potluck Lunch and Monthly Tournament. This is a garbed event, and we can arrange loaner garb if needed
- Cost is $5 to help cover site hire (+$5 insurance levy for non-members)
- Site opens at 12pm with armour inspections from 1pm
- There is seating on site, but bringing a chair wouldn’t be a bad idea
- Format of the tournament will be decided on the day based on there number of fighters, likely round robin, Valhalla or single kill / double elimination
Baronial Senate Meeting
Usually held the third Tuesday of every month, starting at 19:00, at regular Tuesday practice (above)
Every three months, we mix it up and hold the Senate meeting on a Wednesday at Stowe-on-the-Wowld instead (more info about Stowe here). The address is 1st Toongabbie Scout Hall, 99 Bungaree Road, Pendle Hill, NSW, 2145 [MAP]
- The Baronial Senate meeting is the official business meeting of the group. Non-officers are welcome to attend in order to observe, discuss or to bring business before the group. $5 donation requested.
- If you wish to participate in the making of events in yor barony, then please come – ever baronial member is welcome
Calligraphy and Illumination evenings
Held most Tuesday nights, 19:30, in Meadowbank (except when held as part of ‘Skills Night’, above). For more information, contact Caristiona nic Bheathan.
- This is a chance for people to learn about Calligraphy and Illumination and work on pieces with support and amusing company.
Beginner Singing evenings
Held most once a month (on the first Tuesday of the month) at Tuesday practice (see above).
- This is an informal gathering of people to sing popular and easy capfire song and rounds etc and to enjoy singing. No actual skill is necessary.
Arts and Sciences Meetings, Dence Park
Held irregularly about 6 weeks apart at The Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park, 26 Stanley Road, Epping [MAP].
- Classes are held here – past examples being on costuming, fibre-crafts, wax-carving for jewelry-making, cheesemaking and beginners brewing. We usually have a stream of kids classes as well as adult classes.
- Bring a project you are working on, start a new project or come and learn something new. Or why not come and play some Board games or outdoor games. It is a child-friendly event with sewing, boffer and games. All persons under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Fencing and Some Archery practice will be done on the old bowling green outside the center. Fencing usually occurs from 11.00am-1.00pm. Archery practice is target practice with blunts and the kids target is the chocolate Easter Bunny.
Arts and Sciences Meetings, College of St Ursula (University of Sydney)
During semester time, the College of St Ursula meets once a week to further goals and projects of an Arts and Science nature. This may range from garb making and heraldry, to brewing and embroidery. Details about what will be happening during each meeting will be announced over the Ursulans mailing list. Every week we will attempt to have a teacher for an organised lesson (for example jewellery making). Unplanned weeks will be for finishing projects from previous weeks, working on individual projects, dancing or other miscellaneous activities and general socialising.
A&S is on Mondays at 17:00 in the Badham Room, Holme Building, University of Sydney. All are welcome to attend in order to learn new skills and to pursue medieval and renaissance Arts and Sciences together. For more information, contact Lady Svanhildr.