Here you can find details of upcoming events in and around the Barony of Rowany. Upcoming one-off events run by Rowany are advertised through Event Notices and are listed on the menu to the left. Regular events are shown below. Please refer to the Calendar to confirm details of events run by other groups.
‘Skills Night’: A&S, Rapier and Heavy combat drills
Held every Tuesday, starting at 19:30, at Petersham Town Hall, 107 Crystal Street, Petersham, NSW, 2049 [MAP]. $5 donation requested.
- There will be Arts and Sciences Collegias at the Hall with Calligraphy & Illumination once a month as well as various other teachers and Collegia’s at other times (Baronial Arts and Sciences Night projects are discussed on the Rowanites mailing list).
- Heavy combat practice. There are always plenty of people involved here. Both beginner and intermediate skills classes are also run quite regularly for those interested in Heavy (less scary than it sounds and loads of fun). The classes involves sets of drills and technique practice both in armour and out of armour (for people without armour) to learn and develop proper technique in the heavy arts. These go for 6-8 weeks with mini tournaments at the end to “put it all together”. Classes start at around 20:00. Even if you have never done anything like it before, please feel free to come along to join in, learn or simply take a look. You will be entertained!
- Rapier practice also happens. If you are new and interested in a lighter approach to combat, we can help with that too. Come along for a much more one on one learning experience. The hall is quite large with room for a number of concurrent sessions.
Held every Thursday, starting at 19:30, at St Peters Library (Town Hall), 39 Unwins Bridge Rd, Sydenham, NSW, 2044 (close to Sydenham train station) [MAP]. $5 donation requested.
- Both heavy/armoured combat and fencing/rapier practice. The hall is quite large with room for a number of concurrent sessions. For more information, start at the Combat page.
Baronial Senate Meeting
Usually held the first Thursday of every month, starting at 19:00, at St Peters Library (Town Hall), 39 Unwins Bridge Rd, Sydenham, NSW, 2044 (close to Sydenham train station) [MAP].
Every so often, we mix it up and hold the Senate meeting in Stowe-on-the-Wowld instead (more info about Stowe here). The address is 1st Toongabbie Scout Hall, 99 Bungaree Road, Pendle Hill, NSW, 2145 [MAP]
- The Baronial Senate meeting is the official business meeting of the group. Non-officers are welcome to attend in order to observe or to bring business before the group. $5 donation requested.
Calligraphy and Illumination evenings
Held most Tuesday nights, 19:30, in Meadowbank (except when held as part of ‘Skills Night’, above). For more information, contact Caristiona nic Bheathan.
- This is a chance for people to learn about Calligraphy and Illumination and work on pieces with support and amusing company.
Arts and Sciences Meetings, College of St Ursula (University of Sydney)
During semester time, the College of St Ursula meets once a week to further goals and projects of an Arts and Science nature. This may range from garb making and heraldry, to brewing and embroidery. Details about what will be happening during each meeting will be announced over the Ursulans mailing list. Every week we will attempt to have a teacher for an organised lesson (for example jewellery making). Unplanned weeks will be for finishing projects from previous weeks, working on individual projects, dancing or other miscellaneous activities and general socialising.
A&S is on Mondays at 17:00 in the Badham Room, Holme Building. All are welcome to attend in order to learn new skills and to pursue medieval and renaissance Arts and Sciences together. For more information, contact Lady Svanhildr.