Here you can find details of the Regular Events in and around the Barony of Rowany.
All Baronial regular events have an attendance fee of $5 per attendance or $50 per quarter to cover ALL regular events (Fighter Practice, A&S Meetings, Dance Practice, and Archery Practice).
Non-members must pay an additional $10 insurance fee each attendance, or you can become a member for $45 at https://registry.sca.org.au/
Fighter Practice (Mondays)
Fighter Practice is on Monday nights from 6-10pm. It is held at The Addison Road Community Centre (Main Hall), 142 Addison Road, Marrickville NSW 2204. [MAP].
- Heavy Combat practice. There are always plenty of people involved here in Armoured Combat. Both beginner and intermediate skills classes are run quite regularly for those interested in “Heavy” (less scary than it sounds and loads of fun). The classes involve sets of drills and technique practice both in armour and out of armour (for people without) to learn and develop proper technique in the heavy arts. Even if you have never done anything like it before, please feel free to come along to join in, learn or simply take a look!
- Fencing Combat practice. If you are interested in fencing combat involving rapiers, daggers, and longswords – we can help you out. Classes start around 7, breaking into one-on-one teaching sessions and pick-up fights. No gear required, though a pair of leather gloves (garden gloves are fine) will help. Come along and have a chat with us and we can get you started!
Arts and Sciences Meetings
Dence Park (Sundays)
Held on the 2nd Sunday of the month from 10am at The Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park, 26 Stanley Road, Epping [MAP].
- A&S Classes are held here – past examples being on costuming, fibre-crafts, wax-carving for jewelry-making, cheesemaking and beginners brewing. We often run a stream of adult classes as well as kids classes if we know extra kids will be present.
- We have plenty of workroom space and loaner sewing machines for costume making projects. Bring a project you are working on, start a new project or come and learn something new. Or why not come and play some Board games or outdoor games. It is a child-friendly event with sewing, boffer and games. All persons under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Fencing or Armoured Combat may be done on the old bowling green outside the centre if organised beforehand.
Herb Greedy Hall, Marrickville (Saturdays – currently online only)
For the moment Herb Greedy is only being held online in our Rowany Discord Chanel. Check the Rowanites mailing list, or the Rowany Facebook site for details on when this is running
Fortnightly Saturdays from 1pm to 5pm at Herb Greedy Hall is at 79 Petersham Rd, Marrickville, NSW.
- The space is huge! It has hot water facilities, a kitchen, plenty of powerpoints, whiteboards, multimedia, and even a piano!
- Both the hall and the bathrooms are accessible, wheelchair access is from the back entrance off Fletcher St. No disability parking. Some street parking nearby, unlikely to be directly out the front.
- There are plenty of cafes nearby, and a gelataria. But do feel free to bring some snacks for the group!
- The bus stops outside Marrickville Town Hall are the closest and have the 418, 426 and 425 buses going straight past. The nearest 423 bus stop is Marrickville train station, which is also the nearest station. From the train station, you turn right at the top of the stairs and cross the rail bridge then follow Illawarra Rd up towards Marrickville Rd. You can cross over at either the lights on the rail bridge or the lights down at Cornersmith. Those lights mark Petersham Rd, which turns left off Illawarra. Herb Greedy is just before Marrickville Rd.
Rowany Dance Practice (Fridays)
Rowany dance practice is held on Thursday nights from 7pm to 9pm at the Mervyn Fletcher Hall, 81 Dalhousie St, Haberfield
Please check the Rowany Dance Facebook page for updates, including whether there are any issues for particular nights!
Target Archery (Sundays)
Target Archery is held on the 3rd Sunday of the month from 10:00am @ Petersham Public School 25 Hunter St Lewisham. Emtry is via the Hunter St gate. Toilet facilities will be accessible, please bring your own water/beverage and lunch.
Dress: suitable gear for archery not too tight not too loose, plus hat.
We have approx 4 loaner bows & arrow sets, and provide the targets and backdrops to ensure we don’t lose arrows.
While modern recurves are accepted, wooden arrows are required by the SCA. Don’t forget your bowstrings! Check the Rowany Target Archers Facebook group for additional information, or contact our Captain of Archers
Baronial Senate Meeting
- The Baronial Senate meeting is the official business meeting of the group. Non-officers are welcome to attend in order to observe, discuss or to bring business before the group. No fee to attend.
- If you wish to participate in the making of events in your barony, then please come – every baronial member is welcome
Arts and Sciences Meetings, College of St Ursula (University of Sydney)
During semester time, the College of St Ursula meets once a week to further goals and projects of an Arts and Science nature. This may range from garb making and heraldry, to brewing and embroidery. Details about what will be happening during each meeting will be announced over the College of St Ursula mailing list, or in the College of St Ursula FB Group . Every week we will attempt to have a teacher for an organised lesson (for example jewellery making). Unplanned weeks will be for finishing projects from previous weeks, working on individual projects, dancing or other miscellaneous activities and general socialising.
A&S is on Mondays at 17:00 in the Badham Room, Holme Building, University of Sydney. All are welcome to attend in order to learn new skills and to pursue medieval and renaissance Arts and Sciences together. For more information, contact the College Arts and Sciences Officer