Can you help your Barony pursue the Arts and Sciences? Apply by 10 April!
Unto all and sundry in the Barony of Rowany does Bethan of Brockwood, Arts and Sciences Officer send greetings!
Good gentles, I find myself unable to fulfil the office of Arts and Sciences, and am looking to pass it on to another who can treat it with the enthusiasm it deserves. The ‘job description’ follows. Please note: there is no requirement to be able to actually do Arts and Sciences. Being able to put people in contact with each other and organise opportunities for that to happen are the real requirements of this office.
Applications should explain who you are, relevant things you’ve done, and why you want the office. The deadline for applications is 10 April (although before Festival would be better); the Kingdom A&S Officer’s chosen replacement will be announced with 2 weeks notice, then officially take the position at May Crown. Please send applications to email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Rowany Arts & Sciences Officer Job Description
Requirements: The requirements of the office of Arts and Sciences are described within the Arts and Sciences Handbook, here: http://www.lochac.sca.org/artsandsciences/hb-05.html
In short, the requirements are to:
- be a member;
- be appointed and warranted by the Kingdom Officer;
- report quarterly (dates and template in Handbook);
- receive emails from the A&S Officers mailing list;
- be responsible for Kingdom A&S competitions at Kingdom events held in Rowany.
Desirable: In Rowany, it is desirable that you, as Arts and Sciences Officer, would encourage or organise Arts & Sciences competitions and workshops, in Rowany and in her Colleges and Cantons.
There is no requirement that the Arts and Sciences Officer run any classes or judge any competitions; this is an office which requires interest, enthusiasm, communication and contacts (or a contact with contacts).
Instead, taking this office could mean any or all of the following:
- Regularly attending Baronial A&S meeting to provide support and a contact point
- Working with the Arts and Sciences officers of Rowany’s Cantons and Colleges, to help them encourage Arts and Sciences in their groups (e.g. by providing contacts for desired classes)
- Running A&S competitions at Rowany events (which may mean any or all of deciding the theme for, advertising*, organising the judging, and publishing* the winners)
- Publishing* Arts and Sciences resources for interested populace — Organising A&S classes at the A&S meeting or at other times or venues (which again means deciding what, deciding who, finding where and when, and advertising*).
- Organising or supporting Baronial A&S projects (e.g. Banners, pennons, tabards, kneeling rug)
- Supporting the Steward of any Bunch of Classes events if required
- Supporting the Rowany Festival Arts and Sciences Co-ordinator if required
- Making A&S award recommendations to the Baron and Baroness or King and Queen
*In this context, advertising/publishing means as many as possible/relevant of: Rowany webpage, Folia Roani newsletter, Rowany mailing list, Rowany calendar, Court at events.