Greetings to Rowany, and best wishes for a happy and safe new year.
Firstly, some recent thank yous for – Anna for taking on the position of Rowany Chamberlain, Ariston for help with organisation of the B&B, Collette for the Festival update, JC for the equipment bookings for Festival, Gomez for his ongoing work as the Seneschal, making sure that the Barony continues to function smoothly.
Upcoming events include Stowe Fair on 26th-27th January and Newcomers on 16th-17th March. Rhythm and Brews in Mordenvale is on 16th-17th February for the wayfarers. As always, participation and enthusiasm are welcomed, and assistance for the event organisers is much appreciated!
As we all know, Festival is not that far away. Much of the preparation and organisation for this are already in progress, including for the heavy fighting and combat archery. It is timely to discuss how we as a Barony would fight in the wars to come.
We propose that the following principles are used:
• If you are part of a household or college unit, please fight as part of that unit if you wish.
• There will also be a Baronial unit. If you are part of Rowany or Stowe or Ursula, you are most welcome to join this unit.
• All of the Baronial units fight on the same side, where numbers permit.
The heraldic melee tourney at Festival is one of the most enjoyable fighting events in the Kingdom for heavy fighting. We propose that similar principles apply for this as for the war fighting, and would love to see a number of household-based melee teams enter. There will also be a Baronial team that will welcome the participation of any and all fighters from within the Barony.
Should anyone wish to discuss the war organisation further, please feel free to respond to Stigh.
There are a number of regular events within the Barony that are starting up again after the end of year break.
• Monday night Fighter Practice at Marrickville has re-started. This has been outside of the hall due to flooding damage, use of the hall is anticipated as taking another month or so.
• Wednesday night Stowe meeting and A&S is happening. Heavy fighting will be on 16th January with a guest appearance from Maelgwyn.
• The Rowany Senate meeting on the 14th January. The Festival Stewards have provided an excellent update on the preparations for Festival, which will be discussed here.
• The monthly target archery and war practice is on the 27th January and will be taking place at Stowe Faire this month.
• Dence Park A&S is re-starting on the 10th February
• The next Stowe Sunday A&S is scheduled for the 17th February.
• Saturday A&S at Herb Greedy Hall is anticipated as re-starting in February, with hall access currently being discussed.
Ilona has given us all a timely reminder to make quarterly payments – these get you into fighter practice, Dence Park and war practice, and are a real bargain if you are eventing.
It is also the time of year that we once again look for who will be Stewarding Rowany Festival for next year. So, if this is something that may interest you, now would be a good time to start looking at what running Festival is like. It can be both extremely challenging and rewarding.
Caristiona and Stigh