Arts and Sciences competitions encourage people to try new skills. Competitions also give people a chance to show off what they’ve done, and get constructive feedback on how they can improve.
The Kingdom runs Arts and Sciences competitions at each Crown Tourney and Coronation. Points for entry contribute towards the annual Arts and Sciences champion of Lochac. For more information, and upcoming competition categories, look on the Kingdom of Lochac A&S page.
Upcoming Competitions in the Barony of Rowany:
Stay tuned for future competitions
Past Competitions in the Barony of Rowany and Winners:
Yule Feast (December 2013)
For a Calligraphed or Illuminated item: Katherne Rischer
For an item made from plants (not food): Eloise D’arnell for her woodcut print – good interpretation of the category.
An honourable mention also went to: Morgaine Grey for her leather stamp-worked book cover.
Newcomers Feast (March 2013)
Lay out your place, or entire table in a pleasing and period appropriate manner. Consider which bowls, plates and cutlery would be appropriate, whether you need a table runner, napkins or other cloths (beyond the standard white table cloth supplied by the event), also consider lighting for your place or your table
An individual and a group category will be judged, so you are encouraged to co-ordinate with the people you normally sit with.
Heraldic banner display
Make a banner with your device and display it at the feast. The banner may have been completed since Cold War 2012 (in case of people who made a banner for November Crown 2012).
Space to display will be made available.
Yule Feast (December 2012)
Courtly dress. Prepare an entire outfit appropriate for your attendance at the Yule court of their Excellencies the Baron and Baroness of Rowany. 3 categories were judged, based on length of participation in the SCA:
- 0-2 years Winner: Eoife ni Connor for an ensemble from the Tudor Tailor. A commendation was given to Mari of Kilvarok for her kirtle of linen with ivy head piece made of silk.
- 2-10 years Winner: Lady Jehane of Okewaite for a ensemble based on Eleanor of Toledo
- 10+ years Winner: Lady Eloise D’Arnell for her outfit based on portraits by Bronzino
Cantina de la Piranhas e Pez de Colores Feast (October 2012)
- Performance related to travel and pilgrimage
Winner: Katigern Goch (also known as Nimue), for her recitation of a passage from Chaucer’s Tales
- An item that would be taken on pilgrimage
No entries received
- A period game. Bring the pieces required for the game and teach others how to play it:
Winner: Mistress Keridwen the Mouse, for teaching the game of Gluckhaus to enthusiastic players of all ages
Rowany Yule, December 12 2009:
As Yule Feast will be held in the style of England in the 1570s, or thereabouts, the competitions are similarly themed:
Winner: Padraic Lowther; Metheglin as made in Liege
2. An English Thing (any item, performance, research paper, cooking, costuming, sonnet, etc. in an English style of any period)
Winner: Hugh de Calais; Belt with Gilt Buckle
3. A 1570s Thing (any item, performance, research paper, cooking, costuming, sonnet, etc. in a 1570s style of any area)
Winner: Rowany Dance Musicians; Lorayne Allemande
Ursulan Birthday Feast, November 28 2009:
As everyone knows, the mascot vegetable for the College of St Ursula is the Carrot. This year, the competition was carrot themed.
Winner: Ameline Giffard, Andalusian Carrot Syrup